Thursday, January 22, 2009

Coping with the heat?

It is Thursday afternoon and a dry cool change has just blown through after the most appalling hot windy day. Like most gardeners, I can deal with most weather it’s just the wind that spoils things.

It’s not only our plants of course, my wife comes home from teaching grade 3-4’s on windy days looking like she’s had shock treatment. “How was your day?” “It was windy!” End of conversation.

We (you and I, not me & Kerry) have discussed favourite mulches previously, but what else helps? I am a big fan of re-wetting agents like Saturaid we have sand for soil at home, and bark potting mixes are not much better than sand if they are allowed to dry out.

I remain unconvinced about water holding gel (or crystals) though (can’t think of a brand off the top of my head). I don’t know if I have ever met a gardener that swears by them. Do you? Please let me know if you have trialed gel/crystals, it’s always fascinating to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Garden Bloggers