Thursday, June 3, 2010

Crisp White shirts and potting mix!

First week of Winter!  Bit of a slog really.  Seedling sales are worse than usual for this time of year.  OK I know we have good weeks and bad so I just have to keep my chin up.  Well, here's a great way to pick up the spirits:  Work with young people! (WC Fields be damned).


We had a group of Year 4 Envirokids from Mentone Girl's Grammar (at least 20, I lost count) tour the nursery recently.  Their teacher, Allison tells me they had a great time. I know I was thoroughly refreshed.  Very excited young ladies, beautifully behaved and full of perceptive questions.  In fact I had to be on my toes to keep up, including the query about "what happens if any of the nursery equipment breaks down?"  Little did I know that our main air compressor had broken down that afternoon and as the school bus was leaving the electricity company arrived with a notice that our power would be off all day the following Tuesday!  You just can't put anything past clever kids.  


Where does seed come from?  Well, actually a packet in the fridge.  The Envirokids have a vegie patch at school, planted up with seedlings we supplied (that's how we got to know each other).  The visit to Scotsburn ties the whole environment, gardening, healthy food and cooking cycle together.

Every body goes home with a potted plant and sows a pea seed for good measure.

So long as I don't have to wash those crisp white shirts!

The tour took an hour-hour and a half.  I'd love to do more: schools, kindas, garden clubs (I'm not age-ist).  If you're interested please let me know.  I can't offer tours for free, but if we can cover cost I'm happy to discuss.  We're not over supplied with amenities, but it's far from primitive.


Of course the great thing is these kids have had a terrific introduction to horticulture thanks to a dedicated teacher and a great program.

Thanks to Allison and the Envirokids.  I had a wonderful day.

By the way if you want a stunning way to blow some money follow this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Garden Bloggers