Friday, May 6, 2011

Where can I find Winter Salad? Lamb's Lettuce? Mache?....



Hi Peter
last year a friend gave me a few punnets of seedlings of "Winter Salad" (aka Lamb's lettuce, feldsalat, mache, Rapunzel) from your company. I managed to grow it easily and would love to source some more, but can't find it anywhere. Luckily I kept the tag!
As this is my and my family's  favourite lettuce of all time (previously I could only look forward to eating it on my infrequent visits to Germany) I was wondering where on earth I could buy some more?

The nursery my friend got them from last year has changed hands and I have drawn mystified looks from other retailers. Most have never heard of this wonderful salad.
I'd love to plant it asap for this winter and have left a space in my vegie patch hoping you may be able to help me.
Sincerely
Rebecca

Makes my job easy really doesn't it.  We started growing Winter Salad a few years ago after my mum visited Germany, the Black Forest sticks in my mind for some reason.  It is actually closely related to Valerian (Valerianella locusta), thrives in cold conditions and is apparently extremely popular in Europe. Treat it like other salad vegetables, if you choose to cook it I suggest a short sharp flip in a pan or the microwave. That's all.  Winter Salad is a biennial probably best treated as an annual. Pick leaves from the outside of the rosette towards the middle, this will encourage development of more leaves.

We have sold a batch of Winter Salad already this season and I have directed Rebecca to a couple of the nurseries that have stock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Garden Bloggers